Saturday, August 29, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Leo Sayer - Living in a Fantasy

Leo Sayer - Living in a Fantasy 


#308

August 22 1980
Leo Sayer
Living in a Fantasy
Genre: Pop Rock
3.25 out of 5 


Highlights:
You Win, I Lose


Requisite 80s cover:
Bobby Vee’s “More Than I Can Say”. It’s the best song on this album is the most cheesy. It’s a cover of “More Than I Can Say”, which could be the Clint and the Chimp montage  song to “Every Which Way But Loose” or “Any Which Way You Can”. Leo was in a record store looking for a cover, found this one, went to the studio and recorded it that night. Boom. Hit single. 

In the 70s we sort of had this obsession with skinny men with afros. Mr. Goodbody, Richard Simmons and Leo Sayer. 
It’s possible that they were all the same person. I can’t recall seeing any of them on Wonderama at the same time and In Bob McAllister I Trust. 
This sort of stuff is going by the wayside, I believe. I mean, it’s always gonna be there but the heyday of the singer songwriter with the soft sound will fall out of favor as radio gets heavier and audiences’ taste changes away from the white boys doing disco in suspenders. 



No comments: