Monday, August 24, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - The Human. League - Travelogue

 The Human League - Travelogue



#253

by Hector Marin
The Human League
Travelogue
Genre: New Wave
Allen’s Rating: 3 out of 5
Hector’s Rating: 1 out of 5


I had just finished listening to the album and was a little distraught that a band that had created one of my favorite 80's songs had made an album so unlistenable. I actually played it twice so I could remember how big synthesized music had once been and tried to imagine what I would have thought if this were 30 plus years ago...I think I would have hated it then too. So after writing this, I thought maybe I was being too harsh, so I really opened my mind and re-listened a third time. "Only after Dark" was ok...Ok in the way...like when you have a bad meal at a restaurant and as you're leaving, you say "at least the salad was ok" The good news, some members left and what remained went on to create "Don't You Want Me", a hip, fun, techno-poppie MTV prime-time song. It was junk food, but they will remain in my hommage to that era of 80's Diet music.


No comments: