Thursday, August 27, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Roy Harper - The Unknown Soldier

Roy Harper - The Unknown Soldier 


#272

June 1980

Roy Harper
The Unknown Soldier
Genre: There’s really only room for one Al Stewart, bro. 
2.25 out of 5



I’m certain this is going to be another example of my declaring that I have no idea who Roy Harper is and a deluge of Posters commenting that either his “old stuff was better” or “he gets better but this album isn’t it” or “yeah…I had one of his records but I regret it” or something.
The guy is renowned and put out 32 records and this one is bad. When it isn’t crappy fop tunes it’s cut rate Barrett era Floyd. “Old Faces” is something that wouldn’t haven’t even made it to a Saucerful of Secrets outtakes and bootlegs but it sure wants to be that and the closer, “True Story” bites so hard on The Wall he owes them royalties. 
How does this guy get a record deal? Does he have the good coke? He has the good coke, doesn’t he? 



No comments: