Monday, August 24, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Justin Hayward - Night Flight

 Justin Hayward - Night Flight


#252

June 13 1980
Justin Hayward
Night Flight
Genre: Soft Rock
2.25 out of 5


Cloying and self-serving soft rock is a challenge for me from jump. Unless it’s got a great hook, ala Kenny Nolan or Alan O’Day, I’m generally a hard sell. 
Without the Moodies, Hayward gives in to his most gauze lensed, fireside warbler instincts. It starts off terribly, with a title track that feels like an audition song for a James Bond rip off flick and then we get to hear the REAL Hayward on “Maybe It’s Just Love”, where he struggles to perform a vibrato that is not in his wheelhouse. I recognize that sound because I’ve tried it many times. I’m not trained but that doesn’t stop me from attempting a vibrato that I can hold until I push it jussssst a bit too long and it falls apart. Fortunately for me, I never tried to record myself doing that. Someone should have stopped Justin. 
And, regarding the faux funk of “I’m Sorry”…no. Just…no. 

No comments: