Monday, August 24, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - D.O.A. - Something Better Change

 D.O.A. - Something Better Change



D.O.A.

Something Better Change
Genre: Punk
3.5 out of 5

Highlights: 
Get Out of My Life
The Prisoner

I didn’t know that D.O.A. was from Vancouver, CA. This sound so quintessentially punk that I would have thought it came the skateboard culture of SoCal or from Britain. It sounds like both, actually. Like a British punk band relocated to Souther California and led the charge of the Punk Brigade. 
That there are band members named Joey Shithead and Chuck Bisuits only add to the fun.
Fun Fact: Joey Shit was elected to the Burnaby City Council in 2018 under his real name Joey Keithley.
This sounds very very old these days, a sound gone by but, I believe, at the time, it was cutting edge, yes? Were there any North American bands making records like this in 1980? A few, right? And they sounded explosive back then. 
Having never heard it before it’s not making me wanna punch my fist in any air and I’m not sure it would;d have back then. But I can appreciate it for what it is. Was. 
Whatever. 
Let’s pogo!

No comments: