Monday, January 14, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - Swans - Filth

Swans - Filth


May 27, 1983
Swans
Filth
2 out of 5
I’ve avoided Swans for 32 years. My college girlfriend used to go out with the drummer and she was still really hung up on him and it messed with my head.
I think I’m over it now. So, let’s see if this is the post-punk industrial genius I’ve always heard it was. (That drummer isn’t on this album, btw)
If my college punk band had access to a recording studio I guarantee our music would’ve been more interesting and more fun post-punk, no-wave than this is.
This is music for the soundtrack to an 80s film with a bondage & discipline club scene. I can’t see this playing anywhere else. The whole thing plays like a band hoping to get David Lynch to direct a video for them.

No comments: