Monday, January 14, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers - Jonathan Sings!

Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers - Jonathan Sings!

1983
Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers
Jonathan Sings!
3.5
Highlights
Stop This Car
Give Paris One More Chance
I never got into Jonathan. I never understood the accolades and the idea that he is a grandfather of punk. To me he sounds like poppier Lou Reed with a slightly better warble.
There is another Jonathan who writes cute, disposable songs that often talk about the human condition. But, Jonathan Coulton’s songs are just better. I don’t know what it is about Richman. I mean, good for him, he’s made this a thing for almost 50 years. All the while never hitting mainstream success. And this album feels like it’s just more of the harmless, forgettable same.
Jonathan Sings! Is a throwback. A record you’d hear at an adults party in the 60s.

No comments: