Tuesday, October 29, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Concrete Blonde - Concrete Blonde

Concrete Blonde - Concrete Blonde



#72/1239
February 1986
Concrete Blonde
Concrete Blonde
Genre: Rock
3.75 out of 5



Highlights:
Your Haunted Head
Still in Hollywood
Over Your Shoulder



I haven’t heard something like this since 45 Grave. This is the first, most assured, straightforward, non-pop rocker by a female led band that I think we’ve heard. By that I mean, it isn’t cheeky or cute, it isn’t gimmicky and doesn’t try to fit in that lane. It’s got muscle and edge and I put that on Johnette Napolitano. I used to get Concrete Blonde confused with 4 Non Blondes and Blonde Redhead and then I just never bothered. 
This is an unexpected trip as I wasn’t expecting this kind of dank rocking sound from 86. “Still in Hollywood” sounds like an X cover band. And I don’t say that like it’s a bad thing. I miss that sound. A sound that will come back with the ill-fated Betty Blowtorch and shit…I’m sad about Bianca Butthole now.

This album sounds like a band that will come into it’s own during the next decade. Either they are leading that charge or just happen to be in the right place at the right time. 



No comments: