Wednesday, October 16, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - The Firm - Mean Business

The Firm - Mean Business



#39/1206
February 3 1986
The Firm
Mean Business
Genre: Rock
1.75 out of 5


What is it about production on Jimmy Page albums? So much of it comes across as muddy to me. Like there’s too many guitars doubling each other and then Paul Rodgers’ vocals are deep in the mud mix. 
The echo is distracting. It should all be so much cleaner but, everything really just sounds like an excuse for Jimmy to play and have something to sell.
I allllllmost hit the ff button during “Cadillac”. I can’t because of the nature of the project but, ugh, that is one truly ugly piece of excess. 
Look I never really cared for Zeppelin. (Don’t get me started. At least Greta Van Fleet just wanted to SOUND like Zep, not rip off everyone they admired and never pay royalties…but I repeat myself). And Paul Rodgers earned my enmity for that deplorable Queen project. 
This is bloated and bad. 


No comments: