Monday, October 14, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Momus - Circus Maximus

Momus - Circus Maximus


#12/1169
January 15 1986
Momus
Circus Maximus
Genre: Indie
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Lucky Like St. Sebastian
Little Lord Obedience
The Rape of Lucretia

I saw the genre definition, “folk/Indie” and immediately thought, “Great! We can knock this one off the list!!!” And then I started to listen and, while I think an argument can be made to kick it off, at the same time, so much of what is coming is rooted here. I can hear a bit of Elephant 6 stuff and a lot of Twee and I would be reluctant to knock it off considering that. And you KNOW that we are going to listen to Belle and Sebastian AND Ani Difranco AND Mountain Goats if/when we get there. So, the catalog of what is “rock” continues to expand and contract.
That’s a lot of explanation as to why this is included. But is it any good?
It’s very…religious…? By that I mean it covers many aspects of the bible but, unlike the abstract ellipses of Mountain Goats’ The Life of the World to Come, this one wears it’s subjects on its sleeves and it’s sweetly hypnotic. I mean, I’m not going to hum the tracks as I drive home any time soon but I could see someone mounting these as a stage show of some kind. They are engrossing in their way and sometimes actually…yes…good. 



No comments: