Monday, October 14, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Flaming Lips - Hear It Is

Flaming Lips - Hear It Is


#14/1171
January 21 1986
Flaming Lips
Hear It Is
Genre: Alternative
4.75 out of 5

Highlights:
With You
Trains Brains and Rain
Jesus Shootin’ Heroin
Just Like Before
She is Death
Summertime Blues


You wanna really make it in Rock? You should either be a genius songwriter, sexy as all fuck, kitchen sink playing or downright crazy. 
I can’t speak to Wayne Coyne’s sexiness but the rest is there. 
I say this as someone whose only experience that Yoshimi record. Yep, I never really got in to Soft Bulletin. 
But this? Total surprise. It’s well written and performed, definitely nuts and the styles are all over the place. And everything worked for me. 
Few songs resonate with my worldview as “Jesus Shooting Heroin”. Although, contrary to Wayne, religions always made sense to me... as a grift or a masses controlling program (or pogrom, depending...). I’ve never heard anyone put it as starkly as he does here, though. 
Halfway through, on “She is Death” I start to hear the strains of Flaming Lips that I’m familiar with it. 
More, please. 


No comments: