Monday, October 14, 2019

The 1986 Listening Post - Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance


#15/1172
January 23 1986
Heir Apparent
Graceful Inheritance
Genre: 80s Metal
2.5 out of 5


Highlight:
Masters of Invasion
A.N.D…Drogo Lived On

I don’t know how many times I can write that I am constantly shocked by the number of bands that were foisted on record stores in the 80s. With Heir Apparent I am once again forced to admit that I have been disabused of the idea that ease of availability to recording materials (garage band, mp3, etc) did NOT, as I inaccurately posited 15 years ago, cause a glut of mediocre garbage into the sea of choices. Nope. There really was no era of tastemakers and gate keepers. 
The proof of this is albums like this one. The reason why musicians sign contracts that keep them from earning money and relegate them to indentured servitude is that for every ONE good Rave Ups album there are 20 Heir Apparent records. And the hit records (anyone who sells gobs of records)? Those proceeds are needed to offset the investment in this garbage. 
I stand corrected. 
Look, these guys try. Are they as good as Manilla Road? Nope. They’re not even close to Manowar. 
This 45 minute album is the longest 4 hours I’ve spent listening to music. 
“Masters of Invasion” tries. It really does. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/6kg0urCemeUyiCkXJBHGFM?si=3PbPMncVRbSikMtC3DBxtA

No comments: