Monday, March 21, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - UK Decay - For Madmen Only

UK Decay - For Madmen Only



#495

October 1981 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY

UK Decay

For Madmen Only

Genre: Goth Metal

4.25 out of 5




Highlights:

Stage Struck

Unexpected Guest

Mayday Malady




Everything about this record sounds like a launching point to me. It’s a pretty aggressive metal record that also sounds like a post-rock affair. Much as so many bands pointed to Sex Pistols or Joy Division as their North Star I feel as though there may have been a bunch that felt the same about UK Decay. 

This is the Anton Levay to all those who would follow’s L. Ron Hubbard. Never has original as the first but better able to sell it to the masses. 

I do wish the production was better, but it’s easy to overlook that since the music is above expectation. 

Maybe I’m woefully illiterate in my NWOBHM vocabulary but UK Decay is a welcome addition.

This album is full of unexpected surprises. I can’t wait to hear more from these guys. Sadly, it seems their next album won’t arrive until 2013. 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/for-madmen-only/1477163175 

No comments: