Saturday, March 5, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Triumph - Allied Forces

Triumph - Allied Forces



#467

By Brian San Marco

Triumph

Allied Forces

Genre: progressive-blues rock

Allen’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Brian’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5


Highlights: 

Fool for Your Love

Magic Power

Allied Forces

Fight the Good Fight

Ordinary Man



In terms of Canadian progressive rock power trios.  Triumph would be the OTHER progressive rock trio that we all know and love.  Yet, while comparisons to Rush are possible, their progressive styles present themselves in a very different manner.  Triumph allows for their more bluesy roots to come through and depending on the song, you could make comparisons to many other acts at the time like BTO, Boston, Dio, to name a few.  This is not to suggest they’re more diverse than Rush, but rather more palatable to the ordinary listener.  


THAT SAID, I love Triumph.  Since I can remember, I’ve had a fondness for the band and I was always glad to listen even though I could not name one of their songs.  Maybe it’s in the name.  Maybe it’s because of my fondness for progressive rock and that other Canadian trio.   When a Triumph song comes on, I always know it’s them.  The particular timbre of Rik Emmett’s voice was always pleasing to me along with the screaming guitar solos and licks.  


As I listen to them today, I can’t say that they’re entirely original and one of a kind, yet they are.  It’s Triumph.  It’s really good rock mixing in all the tedious motifs and ideas that we heard so much of in the 70’s, but in. a pleasing, original, progressive way.  Why am I so pleased by this?  I don’t know.  Maybe you can tell me.  It’s striking considering I have no specific memories.  I sort of recognize songs like “Fight the Good Fight”, but not really.  Yet, I love it and I’m nostalgic for it.  Every time I get to listen to it, I love. It.  Like an old friend.  It’s weird that I don’t pursue it more often.  Maybe that keeps it novel for me.


https://open.spotify.com/album/6IL1IMpqQoAH2SJpVj1BWn?si=G1ASUKJ0Tk2L3uPzW4_ATg

No comments: