Monday, March 21, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Human Switchboard - Who's Landing in My Hanger?

 Human Switchboard - Who's Landing in My Hanger?



#514

October 1981 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY

Human Switchboard

Who’s Landing In My Hanger?

Genre: New Wave VU

4.5 out of 5




Highlights:

Say No to Saturday’s Girl

Who’s Landing In My Hanger?

(I Used To) Believe In You

Book on Looks

Where the Light Breaks 



I almost forgot what it was like to enjoy simple song crafting about heartache and heartbreak and love. 

The title track could have been a Boomtown Rats joint if they had a sweet farfisa organ played with abandon. 

The bassist produced this and it sounds like a bassist produced it. Which is a damned shame because it sounds muddy as hell and the songs deserve better.

If you like Velvet Underground “Refrigerator Door” pulls on all those strings but I like the give and take here more than anything Nico ever did. And they never wrote anything as lacerating as “(I Used To) Believe In You”. Maybe they did and I didn’t hear it. But this is a decade later and I prefer this. 


But the songs don’t linger in the memory. I do wonder what they might have come up with had they stuck around but…they didn’t. I’ll keep the highlights, tho. 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/whos-landing-in-my-hangar/1462791814


No comments: