Thursday, March 10, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Einsturzende Neubauten - Kollaps

Einsturzende Neubauten - Kollaps 


#471

October 5 1981

Einsturzende Neubauten

Kollaps

Genre: Industrial Dungeon

4.25 out of 5



Highlights:

Negative Nein

Kollaps



I had a girlfriend who lived in Brooklyn. She was my first real girlfriend and I used to take the G or GG to visit her. That fucking train only seemed to run twice a day. It took fucking forever to get to her. 

She lived alone but there was a hole in her kitchen wall that allowed the neighbor, who was a friend of hers to come and go as he pleased, and she did as well. 

She knew the I liked Queen and was eager to play Laibach’s cover of “One Vision” for me. 

That was about as close to Germanic Industrial that I was getting in the 80s. 

This album predates that and, to be honest, it flies in the face of some of our mission, like it’s not in English so I have no idea what Blixa Bargeld is going on about but it’s listed in the 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die so, that’s enough for me to not push back on it. 

I think that’s the wrong book for this. I think it belongs in the OTHER book, 10001 Albums Which Will Cause You to Want to Die. It’s lesser known, obvi, but that’s what this record is. Either that or it’s pent up guilt, anger and frustration all rolled into a noise machine that is the sound music to murder by. 

Look, someone has definitely been killed to “Negative Nein”. There is no question. Well, there is one question: How many have been killed to that soundtrack?


To be clear. These aren’t “songs”. These are soundscapes from a horrifying David Lynch film. 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/kollaps/4840207

No comments: