Friday, March 4, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Hazel O'Connor - Cover Plus

 Hazel O'Connor - Cover Plus



#442

September 1981

Hazel O’Connor

Cover Plus

Genre: New Wave Pop Kate Bush

2.5 out of 5



Hazel’s back and that means my buddy Andy’s back. Well, he’s not a buddy. I sold him a window air conditioning. His wife was someone I met on the Prodigy Queen boards about 30 years ago. 

That’s crazy. 

30 years. 

I am still friends with her on Facebook. Along with her other husband, the guy she married after the first one died. 

I don’t really know anything about them beyond these things…and that she was a Queen fan. And that she married the guy from Icehouse.

He has a Wikipedia page.

I feel like I should have a Wikipedia page. Why don’t I? 

I would think someone would have made one by now.


Oh, the record’s over. 


Okie doke. 


There’s a reason we don’t talk about Hazel much. Not even during 1981. She’s just…not great. What she comes across to me is as a cross between Kate Bush and Russell Mael. But without the grace of the former or the humor of the latter. Listen to “Ee-I-Adio” for an example of this. 


Amanda Palmer owes a bit to Hazel. 





https://music.apple.com/us/album/cover-plus/1309840279

No comments: