Monday, March 21, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Gillan - Double Trouble

 Gillan - Double Trouble


#493

October 30 1981

Gillan

Double Trouble

Genre: Hard Rock

3 out of 5



Highlights: 

Men of War



For unknown reasons, when I was doing my deep dive into Black Sabbath and Deep Purple and the many offshoots (Ozzy, Dio, Rainbow, Whitesnake, etc) ten years ago I never dabbled in listening to Ian Gillan’s project. It’s a shame, really, not because it’s all that great, it’s perfectly pedestrian, but because I would have been spared listening to this album today. 

Like I said, it’s not bad but, well, 1981 is not a great year for the rock and the roll. There’s a vast sea of mediocre stuff out there and this is one of them. 

He shrieks, but not as well as Ronnie or David C. 

The band plays chord progressions and you recognize them as songs and, yep, that’s about it. 

I do enjoy the Van Halenny “Hadely Bop Bop”, derivative tho it is.

And “Born to Kill”. All in all, it’s a pretty solid Deep Purple offshoot. 


I did not stick around for the second album, which is all live cuts. 



https://music.apple.com/us/album/double-trouble/383967970

No comments: