Monday, March 21, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Techtones - TT23

Techtones - TT23



#512

October 1981

Techtones

TT23

Genre: A very noisy garage

2.25 out of 5


Highlights:

If This is Love


No, this is not the Techtones’ 23rd record. 

And, despite that off putting industrial soundscape of the first track, this is not an instrumental noise record. 

What is it? 

Oh, yeah, I gotta describe this thing.

Anyone know the group, Liars? No? I saw them open for Radiohead about 10 years ago. This reminds me of them. The swirlingly indecipherable vocals are part of the musicality and the overproduction of each instrument is supposed to annoy you.

This record settles in to itself after a bit to reveal that it’s really not much more than a redux of late 60s psychedelic garage. 

And a pretty ugly one at that. 

Side Two opens with the radio friendly “If This is Love” and keeps going from there and I wonder what they were trying to prove on Side One. Pass on the first and only listen to Side Two. 

Trust me. 


These guys were one and done with nobody involved seemingly credited with anything post 1984. My guess is they found other things to do Down Under. 

I’m sure the families that financed their kids’ record were very proud. 




https://music.apple.com/us/album/tt-23/1529203282

No comments: