Saturday, March 5, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - The Alvin Lee Band - RX5

 The Alvin Lee Band - RX5


#461

1981 Housekeeping

The Alvin Lee Band

RX5

Genre: Guitar Rock

3.5 out of 5




Highlights:

Hang On

Fool No More



I know it’s called The Alvin Lee Band but he really should share billing with guitarist Steve Gould because just like the last record, the better tracks are by Gould and Alvin is just along for that ride. 

I wonder if this got any airplay back in the day, cuz, “Can’t Stop” drips FM radio circa 1981. It’s got that slightly disco beat, easy vox and it’s totally acceptable pablum in the Pink Floyd vein, but with more energy than Floyd usually can muster. 

I do enjoy me some blues rock and, you know what? This is actually better than last year’s Alvin Lee record. I mean, it’s not great, it’s about as on par with Johnny Van Zant’s stuff. The labels are just churning anything out at this point. 

Imma give it just a little more love cuz I think Gould is a forgotten hero* here. 




*full awareness that I’ve stretched the meaning of this word beyond the reaches of Mr. Fantastic, Elongated Man and Plastic Man combined. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDglxcycXPY&list=PLlvn8uktX5LvCkKOAGzVw57R4r84Z9S_B



No comments: