Monday, March 21, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - The Modern Lovers - The Original Modern Lovers

 The Modern Lovers - The Original Modern Lovers


#505

October 1981

The Modern Lovers

The Original Modern Lovers

Genre: How to lose credibility and group members in 100 words or less

2.75 out of 5




I never “got” Jonathan Richman. You guys all recall those conversations. 

I appreciate him and I do think Rockin’ Romance is brilliant but, gulp, I also think “Roadrunner” goes on for twice as long as it should and it’s not that great to begin with. Maybe in 1976 it’s groundbreaking. But in 1981 it’s quaint. It’s a 2.5 minute punk rock tune that goes on a full 90 seconds longer than it needs to.

Are The Modern Lovers the pop version of The Velvet Underground? 

Don’t answer. I don’t think I care enough. I mean, I kind of enjoy the pummeling baseline of “She Cracked”, sure, but it’s 1981. Let’s move on, people.

This is for people who already love The Modern Lovers, yes? Like a reissue? 

Well, at least there are two versions of Roadrunner. Yay. 

Meh. 



https://open.spotify.com/playlist/49ObFRwBLUdFRaeswLO1Q8?si=yIF7Z95TSfuxGkgWB76_YA

No comments: