Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Then 1981 Listening Post - Slow Children - Slow Children

Slow Children - Slow Children



#518

1981 Housekeeping

Slow Children

Slow Children

Genre: New Wave

4.25 out of 5



Highlights:

Brazilian Magazines

Malicious

Ticket to France



I listened to this in the order of the original UK release and boy am I glad I did. 

Not that I would know differently because I didn’t listen to the other track listing but opening with the hyper energetic “Brazilian Magazines” is a kick in the new wave teeth. I’m curious how and why Missing Persons were able to make a killing off this sound when Slow Children were doing it just as well and earlier. 

Okay, I know….Terry Bozzio. I get it. But this is like listening to a lost MP album that is actually terrific. 

And you know why? 

Jules Shear. He’s the guitarist here as well as a producer. He and Pal Shazar, the lead singer would marry and collaborate throughout the 90s and beyond. I’d never heard of her and I wish I had. 

In a way it reminds me of Mates of State in that the songs are all excellent but nothing is really sticky. The production is stellar and crisp. If the highlights intrigue you, put the whole record on.


https://open.spotify.com/album/6Xax4NJMPyVTk86eW1vdGD?si=y3JOJYnHQCeRjZZCSJVIdA

No comments: