Friday, March 4, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Nils Lofgren - Right Fades Away

Nils Lofgren - Right Fades Away 



#431

September 1981

Nils Lofgren

Right Fades Away

Genre: Elfish Rock

2.5 out of 5



Highlights:

In Motion


Requisite 80s cover:

Del Shannon’s “I Go To Pieces”

“Anytime at All”. But, the only version we have is live so…yeah, it sounds like what it’s supposed to. 


I’m short. I have no issue with short people. (Aside from the fact that short people got no reason to live)

I like to say that I’m basically a Hobbit. 

But there’s no way you can convince me that Nils is anything other than a rock and roll elf. He even sounds like what I would expect an elf as imagined by Wendy Pini to sound like. 

I like Nils. He seems like a nice guy and he adds a lot to Bruce Springsteen’s overall sound, handling the lead lines that Stevie can’t and Bruce won’t even try. Honestly, have you hard Bruce solo? He’s trash. 

Nils will always be remembered in rock and roll history as a member of the E Street Band, even though he came very very late and had quite the career before, during and after.


Here, to me, he sounds like what Van Morrison would if Van played instruments as well as Nils. Nils rocks and he rolls. I can see why Bruce thought he’d fit in. There’s an earthiness to his songs that call to mind trash can rockers from the 50s. 


Unfortunately, points off for three missing tracks. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96-7KzO_O2I&list=PLlvn8uktX5LsQEhZLTMoAqjdVq3La1itm


No comments: