Friday, March 4, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Yello - Claro Que Si

 

Yello - Claro Que Si


#449

By Daniel Irwin

Yello

Claro Que Si

Genre: SynthPop

Allen’s rating: 4 out of 5

Daniel’s rating: 2 out of 5



I first started listening to this album while I was driving alone on I-5 through the San Joaquin Valley.  Somewhere in the middle of the 3rd track ("Take It All"), I had to switch it off because I was afraid that I'd start driving so erratically that I would cause a major accident.  (Note to self: don't operate heavy machinery while listening to Swiss ambient techno-pop.)


After this album as well as a Cabaret Voltaire album I reviewed last year, it's become pretty clear to me that I just don't care for early 80's European techno-pop.  I hadn't heard of Cabaret Voltaire before Allen assigned it to me, but I don't have the same excuse for my reaction to "Claro Qu Si".  My sister had a copy of "Stella" during our teenage years.  I pretty much wore out the grooves for "Oh Yeah" but was turned off by the rest of the album.


I didn't want to give this album a low rating because I just don't understand it.  I abstain and leave it to those who like Yello's music beyond what is heard in films like "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".


https://open.spotify.com/album/7l1Fr59dIPSN0ZmaNRJFyY?si=9m4SARTmT0uxBEjn0nt7RQ

No comments: