Friday, March 11, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Girls At Our Best - Pleasure

 Girls At Our Best - Pleasure



#480

October 20 1981

Girls At Our Best!

Pleasure

Genre: New Wave Retro

3.75 out of 5




Highlights:

Pleasure

I’m Beautiful Now

Fun City Teenagers





In the early 00s a band made a bit of noise for it’s joyous lo-fi exuberance. That was The Go! Team. Along with The Pipettes and an assortment of other Indie bands with female vocalists that harkened back to the 60s and 70s with no reason to exist except to have a blast. I think, perhaps, they weren’t harkening back to the 60s or even 70s TV shows as much as they all had Girls at Our Best!’s record in their collection because that’s what this is: A kitchen sink of retro music that sounds at home in the 00s Indie world as it does in the past. 

I’d heard the name GaOB for decades but never knew what they were about or who they were. They popped up in articles and I just loved that name. Were they girls who were performing at their best or, at best, were they girls? I enjoy word play like that. So, it would stand to reason that I would enjoy this band. 

And, you know what?  I do. (And, yes, I know the name of the band can be found in the song “£600,000”).

There’s a good reason they are a one and done: There’s little here to hold on to. It all begins to sound the same and with diminishing returns. 

This would have been an exceptional EP. 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/pleasure/826447722


No comments: