Friday, March 4, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - The Rockets - Back Talk

 The Rockets - Back Talk



#435

July 3 1981 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY YMMV edition)

The Rockets

Back Talk

Genre: The nexus of glam, power pop and…heartland rock

4.25 out of 5




Highlights:

Shanghaied

Love for Hire

Tired of Wearing Black

American Dreams



Go with me here. 

I’ve never heard The Rockets. 

But at first listen I can’t help but feel that you add a lot of alcohol, some makeup and heavier licks and you get Motley Crue which shows that Sixx and Mars were really on to something inasmuch as this is an amalgamation of Power Pop and latter day glam with a touch of garage and…isn’t that really what Motley Crue was, in the end? Just a whole lot sleazier.

The album gets decidedly more heartland-y on the second side and, to me, that makes it more accessible. It has a journey. It starts off tight and tense and opens up like a story.

I actually found this delightful.

There are no hits here. Just a bunch of perfectly fine songs that boogie and rock and then are immediately forgotten.

But that don’t make it not good. I found myself loving each song more and more progressively until I realized…this is a discovery of sorts. 

But, your mileage may vary.



https://music.apple.com/us/album/back-talk/321973780

No comments: