Tuesday, March 22, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame

 J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame



#519

October 26 1981

By Jon Lulu with assist from Jeremy Lulu

J Geils Band

Freeze Frame

Genre: new wave / post punk / bluesy party

Allen’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Jon’s rating: 3.75 out of 5

Jeremy’s rating: 3.0 out of 5


Highlights: 

Freeze Frame

Centerfold

Angel in Blue



I approached this review from the perspective of having a ton of nostalgic affinity for the two songs everyone knows, and not much else.  I was never a J Geils “fan” (I do not know if such a species exists) and I know next to nothing about them.  But I did have this album at the young formative age of 13 or so.  To add to the fresh-ears approach, I asked my musically talented  son Jeremy (18) along for the ride… A fresh listen, without the nostalgia factor.  I think that explains the 0.75 gap in our ratings. 


FREEZE FRAME!! Is how it starts.  You know this.  The title song - from the jump - says, “this is a party.”  From the shutter clicks that follow the opening exaltation to the bouncy beats, to the keyboards and horns, all the way through to the hand clapping and the minor scat singing and the camera clicks at the end, Freeze Frame, the opening song, is a promise of a party and a follow through to fun.  I don't know what that song is about and I don't care. I'm hooked on the sound and the style from the beginning. Great start. 


Next up, Rage in the Cage tries to continue the vibe and it does an ok job. But if this is a party, then this is the part where you've already said hi to all the people you want to see and and every one is happy to see you too. It’s upbeat but the music kind of fades into the background and is more functional as you grin and pour some drinks. People are dancing. It's working. The next day no one will remember what song was on. 


Centerfold!!  We’re back! The band is commanding attention with its super catchy tune, and a sort of scandalous concept.  Those soft fuzzy sweaters! The neglige! The fall from homeroom purity to the pages in between. So scandalous!  (reader: are you reflecting upon the innocence of that treatment of sex on the radio then, as compared to today’s WAP motif? I was; what a softer time we seemed to grow up in).  "Take you to a motel room and take ‘em off in private!"  OMG. I was maybe 13.  The dark side of sex was here. "I guess I gotta buy it!"  Yup!  But besides all its puerile intrigue, Centerfold is a great catchy pop tune with an uncanny sing-along quality.  Na na na na na na, etc. You’re already singing it in your head I bet.  Pro-tip: this is a killer secret karaoke weapon. Save it for emergencies. 


Do You Remember When is a mediocre filler song that belongs in the shadow of Centerfold. Nothing after that song will likely shine as bright, so this fits here. It kinda sucks.  Maybe useful as a soundtrack to a bad 80s film montage, but that's about it.  I don't know. Don't care. I was ready for it to be over the minute it started. 


Insane Insane Again.  “Pretty good” with a shoulder shrug. That's what my review-mate, Jeremy has to say about it. “Eh. Lot of sound effects” he adds, continuing, “pretty good, not great.” maybe he's right, and I think he's being kind.  But… I see that his toes are tapping. So. Apparently the party is still on.  I don't hate this song either. Does it need to be in my life?  Not exactly. But I won't shut it off when it comes on.  Grab another drink, smile and throw your arm around a pal. We are still having a good time.  (aaand, wait, why is this song still on??  Peter Wolf and company can't seem to kill it). 


Okay, finally.  That one is over, yielding to Flamethrower.  I ask Jeremy, “what do you think of this one?”  “They all kind of sound the same to me,” he answers . Yup, again.  It’s not bad. Not great. And not really necessary except I guess as a vessel to carry the two big ones to market.  This song also Would. Not. Die. Why does it clock in at 5 minutes?  (See the previous sentence).  


River Blindness.  Wait.  Huh?  We are doing West Side Story with a bluesy experiment vibe now?  Was not expecting that.  Jeremy said it sounded more 90s and I can see that.  We both agreed that the theatrical vibe and featured syncopation was a good and welcome break from the tiresome road we had been on for the last three.  But where are we in our party?  It's getting late. Some shit has gotten weird. Most of the best people have left, and that dude no one knows with the Flock of Seagulls look is controlling the music now. Ok whatever. 


It’s been a long road since Centerfold.  What ever happened to our homeroom angel?  We get a clue in Angel in Blue, the darker and much more wholly tragic deeper dive from Centerfold. What happened to her is… not good.  But this is a good song, with depth.  Maybe some of that other boring stuff in the saggy middle had meaning too but I was not paying attention. Perhaps it was the cleaner melody, catchy production and darker mood of this one, but suddenly I am paying attention to the music and the lyrics.   Our Angel has traveled a hard road too, from a girlie magazine to "scoring in cars" and doing lap dances in bars.  Her soul is dead.  “And the bees they had stung her, The birds they had flown; There were guys she could number; But none had she known; And she never had dreams; So they never came true.”  Man, the J Geils Band went deep and dark.  I had no idea. 


This is it. The party's nearly over. People are sizing up who they may end up with or what's next for a night that's getting foggier… and sadder. It's time to rally, put that depressing stuff back in the dark corner of the mind and try to salvage a little rebellious fun before the sun comes up. 


What do you do to close out the night after hearing about how badly things ended up for that cute girl from homeroom class?  Go outside and take a Piss On the Wall.  The final song gives the world and this night a solid middle finger. "All I know is I just gotta take a wiz."  It's a fitting and satisfying quick-hit catchy end.   The night’s over. As Peter tells us, all that's left is to try to "hold it steady while I piss on the wall." 


With those final words from this album, it's now time to get some sleep and hope the hangover isn't too bad. 


https://open.spotify.com/album/48joW5905AMbTFLvy8ZWch?si=OcV-oyVfRl2TtiaYuSl_Dg

No comments: