Saturday, March 5, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - The Spizzles (Spizzenergi) - Spikey Dream Flowers

 The Spizzles (Spizzenergi) - Spikey Dream Flowers



#456

April 1981

The Spizzles (Spizzenergi)

Spikey Dream Flowers

Genre: SciFi PunkWave

2 out of 5



Highlights:

Soldier Soldier



When I was a kid I adored Star Trek. We used to play it. Whoever’s house you were at got to be Kirk and the further away, the less important your character. I was invariably Scotty or Chekov. It was not the most fun. 

Nonetheless, I adored the show. 

I had the novelizations, the new voyage books, the Star Fleet Technical Manual. I wanted a captain’s shirt like this one kid, Alan White, had. But I didn’t have the guts to wear one at the time. Now? I still want a Star Trek bike kit but it’s all Next Gen and I don’t care for that baloney. (Riker is an anagram for Kirk, fyi. Just add an e)

Why am I going on about Star Trek? Because it’s a lot more fun to talk about Star Trek than to hear The Spizzles sing about it. 

They really want to be on the vanguard of Sci-Fi rock but it all just comes across as passe. Tourism. 

I enjoy a good disco punk beat ala “Soldier Soldier” but I can’t help but feel like the band is just tolerating Spiers (although it’s possible that it’s his excellent guitar work so…maybe if they found a different lead singer…)

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjHGSG5XAqg&list=PLlvn8uktX5LvJIMVUgm6qUMjIA1MmBrFP- Missing 2 tracks - Brainwashing Time and Downtown

No comments: