Friday, October 23, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - Todd Rundgren - Healing

 Todd Rundgren - Healing



#32

By Lori Alley

January 28 1981

Todd Rundgren

Healing

Genre: Theatrical rock

Allen’s Rating: 3.5

Lori’s Rating 2.5


Highlight:  

Pulse (kind of Skylarky)


Clunky McClunkersons: 

Golden Goose

Shine


This is Todd Run’s 9th studio album and apparently was launched as a concert show along the eastern US, backed by local choirs.  So it’s some kind of project, probably during a midlife crisis would be my guess.  Okay Todd, how do I say this, I’m no musical expert but YIKES, what is this??.  I really like his voice, the tone is so unique, but some of the calisthenics in these songs are simply beyond his vocal ability.  Typically, I think of Todd as the male version of Carol King, “Hello It’s Me” and his other hits, well, they’re catchy and pleasant and sort of great.  But otherwise, (and I’m sure this really ate at him) I never quite noticed him.  For me he’s most famous for his production of XTC’s Skylarking.  I mean, GENIUS, ammiright?????  But this project is simply indulgent and kind of strange.  I gave it a middling rating, because it’s just sort of that.  If you love Todd you won’t hate this album but it probably won’t be your go-to.  


https://open.spotify.com/album/28Y7qITdIQ1c6B0m8RNNkJ?si=_4o_NM95RJOfJiSE41G1ag

No comments: