Wednesday, October 21, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - Badfinger - Say No More

 Badfinger - Say No More



#15

January 17 1981

Badfinger

Say No More

Genre: Power Pub

3.25 out of 5


Highlights:

Crocodillo


I don’t know a lot about Badfinger. I know they are often derided as Beatles wannabes. And that they were the first band that The Beatles signed to their label. None of that would have guided me to the band at the time. 

Right off the bat I hear…not the Beatles but…latter day Lennon who, himself, sounded to me like he was trying to be more of a Nick Lowe or a Dave Edmunds than anything else and that’s what the opening track tacks to: It’s pub rock. Bouncy piano, simplistic hook, 1-4-5 template, strained nasal vocals. That’s all Lennon to me. 

And I was more of a Wings kid. 

The best of these anachronistic tracks are the singles “Hold On” and “Because I Love You” and neither of them are really that inspired in 1981. Now, 1974? Sure. 



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwGVSukmEcU&list=PLz6cAheObZcglflNTHgxKEhjBo0saMnuW


No comments: