Friday, October 23, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - The Boys - Boys Only

 The Boys - Boys Only


#45

January 31 1981

The Boys

Boys Only

Genre: Power Pop

3.5 out of 5



Highlights:

Let it Rain



Requisite 80s cover: A truly uninspired version of “Wonderful World”. Like a watered down Ramones. 


Still mining that Knack/Romantics vein, labels are not quite done with this sound. But The Boys are. This is their last album, and the first I’ve heard. Had I not known that I still might feel the same way: This is a band that is running out of steam. Or, well, since I am pretending I don’t know that, I would say that they are a PP band trying really hard to catch that gold ring but just come up a hair short.

There are no bad original tracks here. In fact, “Monotony” sounds a lot like The Vapors. But it wouldn’t make New Clear Days. This is something that ends up on Magnets. And “Gabrielle” is almost highlight worthy. But then it’s followed up by the faux country “Miss You” and I just can’t with any band lamenting John Wayne’s absence. No, guys, I don’t miss John Wayne. I think that’s the sort of hero worship that ruined the 80s. And it almost sounds like you are playing it for laughs, but if you are, I don’t get the joke. 

Maybe the joke’s on me. 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/boys-only/539504135

No comments: