Wednesday, October 21, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - Phil Seymour - Phil Seymour

 Phil Seymour - Phil Seymour


January 16 1981

Phil Seymour

Phil Seymour

Genre: Power Pop

3.5 out of 5



Highlights:

I Found a Love

Baby It’s You



Requisite 80s cover: Bobby Fuller’s “Let Her Dance”. It’s totally in Phil’s wheelhouse but I could hear it being done by The Bay City Rollers or The Hudson Brothers 6 years before and not making a dent then, either. 

“Trying to Get to You” a 50s classic done by Elvis & Roy and Phil brings none of that to the festivities. I think he just likes the tune. 



There is a Twilley sized hole in my Power Pop vocabulary. For some reason I eschewed him almost entirely. This could because Dwight Twilley is hard to say. I want to say Dwight Tilley. That second “w” is a pain. And also, Twilley is the least glam rocking name I can think of. 

Ok. Enough beating up on Dwight Tilley. 

Phil was a member of the Dwight Tillwilly band and this is his solo offering and, for mid-70s Power Pop it’s fine. Is Phil Seymour is sort of an American Dave Edmunds. I say that out of love because, while Dave could write, he had his best successes with other people’s tunes, specifically two of my all time favorite songs, Nick Lowe’s “I Knew the Bride” and Springsteen’s “From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)”. 

In Phil’s case he plays in that softer Bubblegum world and there’s the reason he wouldn’t be a star. You can hear it on every track, the lesser being the Twilley written ones. The most energetic, punkiest one is “We Don’t Get Along” which was written by Kathy Valentine. You know, from The Go-Gos!


https://music.apple.com/us/album/archive-series-vol-1/1229930844

No comments: