Thursday, October 1, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Sue Saad and the Next - Sue Saad and the Next

 Sue Saad and the NExt - Sue Saad and the Next


#487

January 1980

Sue Saad and the Next

Sue Saad and the Next

Genre: Rock

3.75 out of 5



Highlights: 

It’s Gotcha

Your Lips-Hands-Kiss-Love

Danger Love


I can’t believe we missed this record. If, like me, you would scour the record bins at places like Amoeba music, during a brief revisit to vinyl (from about 2008-2011) you saw dozens of copies of Sue Saad and the Next. And for no good reason, you never plunked the $3 to buy it. Even though it had just about everything you were looking for from 80s rock: female lead singer, check. Awkward defensive/aggressive stance by band members standing on a street curb at night? Check! (My band did the same thing. I’ll look for a picture.) Terrific New Wave “and the” name? Double check!

And yet, I never pulled the trigger. 

Did I miss out? Nah. Not entirely. 

Sue has that late 70s Benatar-y voice. You know what I’m talking about? It dances in the rock warehouse but would probably feel more comfortable covering Stevie Nicks tunes in a country band. That’s not to say it’s bad. Nor is the band. They are tight. They have that Power Pop/Rock sound d-o-w-n. They’ve even got that middle of the record, faux-reggae track (“Young Girl”) and I appreciate the content: The story of a teenage girl trying to go out and have fun, despite having very controlling, conservative parents. I wish the song was better. Actually, I wish it was done by The Runaways. She has the same parental issues on “Won’t Give Up”, which is about coming from dirt poor to make it in a rock band. Um…this is the only record by this band so…Imma assume that didn’t work out. 


If this was 1977, “Your Lips-Hands-Kiss-Love” might actually have a shot. I wonder if they gave any thought to it as a single. 



https://music.apple.com/us/album/sue-saad-the-next/621639418

No comments: