Wednesday, October 21, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - Fra Lippo Lippi - In Silence

 Fra Lippo Lippi - In Silence



#4

January 1 1981

Fra Lippo Lippi

In Silence

Genre: Joy Division

1.5 out of 5




I think we need to start a Go Fund Me so we can raise money to build a time machine and go back to 1981 and sue Fra Lipppo Lippi on behalf of all the members of Joy Division. This is pretty blatant ripping right here.

Except that with Joy Division you knew you were getting something discomfiting just from the name, with it’s Nazi connotations (see also: Spandau Ballet) but, with a name like Fra Lippo Lippi I was expecting Commedia Dell’Arte or a Punch and Judy Show soundtrack or soemthing. Not this horror show. 


I will say this: While it’s dull and monotonous, right around “I Know” I can hear the future echoes of The Drums, a 2010s Indie band that i love but, until this record, had not made the Joy Division connection and now I will never be able to unhear that. 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/in-silence/1131407348

No comments: