Thursday, September 12, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Robert Palmer - Riptide

Robert Palmer - Riptide


#468/1101
November 25 1985
Robert Palmer
Riptide
Genre: Rock
2.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Addicted to Love

So, here it is, right? This is the one that righted the Palmer ship, I guess. It starts off weird, like he’s aping Harry Nillson on the title track.
But it’s laconic and cute and before you can say, “this is why I hated Pride and everything you’ve done the last few years save for Clues, it brings in it’s crunch and punch. 
I just wish I liked it more. I want to. If for no other reason than Palmer uses people I like. Covering and Co-writing Gary Numan. Working with Bernard Edwards who would work with Adam Ant on the ill fated Persuasion. 
By the time we get to the hit I’m not sure if I like it or if it’s 80s radio ubiquity beat me into submission. “Addicted to Love” sounds like an 80s cable network cop show theme. Or did they all rip this song off and they sound like it?
I don’t know. It’s pretty dated. 
But the Chic influence is so evident. Especially on “I Didn’t Mean to Turn You On” & “Flesh Wound”.  



No comments: