Sunday, September 1, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy


#458/1093
November 16 1985
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Psychocandy
Genre: Shoegaze
4.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Just Like Honey
In a Hole
Taste of Cindy
Never Understand
My Little Underground

I have always loved the moniker “Shoegaze”. In that simple reduction it explains an entire genre. “Rock” was about how the body moved (It Rocked and Rolled). “Punk” was an attitude. But what was “Alternative”? Or “Indie”? Or “Post-Rock”? 
Shoegaze is one that, to me, described not just the music but the people making the music. 
It’s not a style I sought out. I heard My Bloody Valentine and Galaxie 500 and I really loved what they put out and when they hewed closer to it, Sonic Youth really works for me in that idiom. 
Is this the first real Shoegaze record?
On the one hand, I adore it. It seems to be a warped interpretation of simple Rock tropes from the earliest styling through psychedelia and, come on, “Never Understand” is really a perfect updating of The Beach Boys who, by 85, lost their own narrative. It’s owned here. As are The Ramones on “My Little Underground” 
This is the future. And, as Mellencamp said, “IF you’re not part of the future then get out of the way.”



Spectacular.


No comments: