Thursday, September 12, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Dead Can Dance - Spleen and Ideal

Dead Can Dance - Spleen and Ideal


#469/1102
November 25 1985
Dead Can Dance
Spleen and Ideal
Genre: Dark Wave
4 out of 5


Highlights:
Circumradiant Dawn
Ascension

When I was in college a bunch of us to movement classes off site. We paid hard earned money to be exposed to ridiculous amounts of pain designed to break us down and build us back up. A lot of it was for stamina, I think. I never really understood it. It was called Alexander Technique. I hated Alexander and his technique and none of it ever helped me in my acting pursuits. 
I think these teachers of “experimental theater” were just making shit up as they went along.
The music they would play was ambient or dark or it was weirdly droning or it was Penguin Cafe Orchestra. 
They didn’t play Dead Can Dance but I think they would have liked to. 
Instead I just think I want to stand, with my feet pointed inward, arch my back, stretch my arms behind me like a plane, jut out my jaw and hold it until I pass out. 

On the flip side, I did need some music to meditate to/fall asleep to and I’ve played Music for Airports so much that Eno could put an addition to his house with my streams so I tried this album and, boom, I was out by track 5. 


No comments: