Thursday, September 19, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Rave-Ups - Town + Country

The Rave-Ups - Town + Country



#495/1129 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
1985 Housekeeping
The Rave-Ups
Town + Country
Genre: Alt-Country?
4.75 out of 5



Highlights:
Positively Lost Me
Remember (Newman’s Lovesong)
Better World
Class Tramp
In My Gremlin
Radio
You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere





I REMEMBER THESE GUYS!!!
Back when I was a music reviewer for Home Theater Technology I lobbied hard for all sorts of materials to listen to and review. And one day I got lucky. Rhino sent me the entire 15 disc set of “New Wave Hits of the 1980s”.
And I worked my way through that beast. And I remember hearing this track, “Positively Lost Me” and really thinking, “Wow, this is great but…how is it New Wave? It sounds like The Proclaimers if they were a Jangle Pop/Folk rock set.”

Jeez, the first side is just one great track after another. 
“In My Gremlin” is a garage rocker that has me reaching for my Takamini and “Radio” calls to mind 90s Springsteen. 
There isn’t a bad track on this thing. Admittedly, its a bit more country than we would normally allow but it’s as good (or better) than Jason and the Scorchers and I’m scratching my head in wonder that they didn’t do better. 
Oh well. We can listen to them now, I guess.


https://open.spotify.com/album/61e9g3GkvMrzseoKwJJArL?si=cw0rSuY1SA-D6TajNfUhGA



No comments: