Wednesday, September 25, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Chris Stamey Group - Christmas Time


The Chris Stamey Group - Christmas Time


#525/1156
1985 Housekeeping
The Chris Stamey Group
Christmas Time
Genre: Omg it’s Christmas music
2 out of 5



So, we finally get to the end of 1985. Guys. 525 records. What a year. And we end it with a little burst of Holiday Power Pop. 
I’m one of those people who think that the dB’s are aight. They don’t do much for me and that’s weird cuz I love Power Pop. But you know what? I really don’t LOVE Power Pop. It’s actually too soft for me. It’s a notch above soft rock and I know that’s part of the appeal but I want it to have a bit more crunch. For me, Power Pop has always been the beginnings of beta-male rock. It really wasn’t until Rick Springfield and the board at Sound City that the sound really worked and came into it’s own. Rick fucked. So did Robin Zander. Eric Carmen longed. Brian Wilson was desperate for love. And that’s the difference. 
So, this is all sweet and stuff but I won’t ever play it again. 
(…watches an exodus of Listening Post members….)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBJ7ztNazTVBeytEAkEK4HqoJC6xfqNaT

No comments: