Thursday, September 12, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Beat Happening - Beat Happening

Beat Happening - Beat Happening


#474/1107 
November 1985
Beat Happening
Beat Happening
Genre: Indie Lo-Fi
4 out of 5


Highlights:
I Let Him Get To Me
In Love With You Thing




How ahead of its time was Beat Happening? Personally, I will admit that I thought it was going to be a retro mod sound. It’s not. It’s more of a predecessor to, say, All Girl Summer Fun Band’s sound. The indie bands that would crop up a little more than a decade later and become press darlings. I’m thinking of Cub and Donora. This is the sound of Riot Grrl and, whatever anyone else thinks, I really loved the Riot Grrl sound and image. 
Everything about this record makes me happy. It is one of those that really shouldn’t exist but, 80s. And it would get easier and easier for people to get in a room, make music and put it on vinyl/plastic/1’s & 0’s.
Think Kimya Dawson and Moldy Peaches.


No comments: