Thursday, September 12, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Cabaret Voltaire - The Covenant, the Sword and the Lord

Cabaret Voltaire - The Covenant, the Sword and the Lord


#479/1112
November 1985
Cabaret Voltaire
The Covenant, the Sword and the Lord
Genre: Electronic
2.75 out of 5



I’m on record with my disdain for Cabaret Voltaire. As a student of Dadaism and Tristan Tzara and Hugo Ball and all of that I’m pretty sure Cabaret Voltaire’s music would not have been played at the Cabaret Voltaire.
And I’ve never cared much for their output. 
This time, however, I think the club scene has finally caught up with them. Case in point: the frenetic dance floor schism of “I Want You” followed by the nihilistic disco “Hells Home”.
Musically, its more interesting than any of their previous records. It’s also much much darker. But it still leaves me cold. 
Unless you like Charles Manson, cuz they put some of him on the record in between tracks. 


No comments: