Thursday, September 9, 2021

The 1981 Listening Post - The Swimming Pool Q's - The Deep End

 The Swimming Pool Q's - The Deep End



#168

May 1981

The Swimming Pool Q’s

The Deep End

Genre: Georgia New Wave

3.5 out of 5





Highlights:

Little Misfit

Big Fat Tractor

Rat Bait





I never saw Athens, GA Inside Out. I should have. I was an REM loving dorm dweller. Were The Swimming Pool Q’s in that movie? I don’t even know if they were from Athens but they are part of the Georgia New Wave explosion so, I’m lumping them in because they call to mind that angular New Wave of B52s (maybe it’s the male/female lead vocal trade offs) but they also have that dynamic, driving singularity that makes 80s New Wave delicious, and decidedly missing from 1981. 

This band has more southern influence than their New Wave cousins. It’s evidenced in a couple tracks, most notably the southern boogie dance fest “Rat Bait” and “Stick in My Hand”. 

For the most part it’s all fine and fun. 

A lot of this is live cuz this album seems to be lost to the wild. I’m not sure the studio tracks would have made it that much better, tho. 




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCLkV6aTkP8&list=PLlvn8uktX5LuhltKL5YnemJTkfjE3ufRo

No comments: