Thursday, September 9, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - The Tremblers - Twice Nightly

The Tremblers - Twice Nightly


July 1980

The Tremblers

Twice Nightly

Genre: Power Pop

3.75 out of 5




Highlights:

She Was Something Else

I Screamed Anne

Wouldn’t I



I was sitting in the elbow of an airport, waiting for a flight to Texas. It was one of those layovers in a city that you don’t want to be in. I can’t recall where. Might have been Oklahoma. 

I went to a Starbucks. 

Sitting with my iced coffee, I was hip deep in my Elvis Costello retrospective and I was pretty angry because I had to listen to ALL of North and North is terrible. 

In between songs I heard an English accent. Talking excitedly to another man who looked damned familiar. 

It only took a second as a fan came over to say hi to….Peter Noone and his buddy, Kenny Loggins. 

This is a Power Pop album fronted by Peter Noone. 



It’s occasionally smarmy and he obviously wants to be Cheap Trick but…dammit…Peter, you are only 37! Why do you sound like you’re from a different generation!?


There’s some cheeky goofiness on “Wouldn’t I” and “Dad Says” and in a way it reminds me of Tinted Windows, a “supergroup” with members of Smashing Pumpkins, Cheap Trick and Hanson and that album was a lot of fun, but a bit of Power Pop Trifle. As is this record. 

It’s got some dynamite moments. I’m not sure it would catapult Peter into the stratosphere but for what it is…it’s fine. 





To bring everything full circle, there is a cover of an Elvis Costello song here, “Green Shirt”. It isn’t the worst thing I’ve heard. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lODYdgP734M&list=PLlvn8uktX5LuwtnVHFWACZ_jAH5EbD-n2 

No comments: