Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - The Simms Brothers Band- The Simms Brothers Band

The Simms Brothers Band - The Simms Brothers Band 



1980 Housekeeping

The Simms Brothers Band

The Simms Brothers Band

Attitude

Genre: Rock

4 out of 5




Highlights:

Attitude

She’s My Girlfriend

Breakdown



Well, this is an amazing discovery.

I know this guy.

Frank Simms. 

He and I were union board members who negotiated contracts together. 

We’re not close by any stretch but we are friendly.

I knew Frank as a singer on tv and commercials and, of course, as back up for Bowie on the Serious Moonlight but I didn’t know he had a band. With his brother. 

And I’m loathe to listen to it. It’s hard to hear friends’ music and be put in a position of criticizing. 

But…I really liked it. 

Am I being forgiving because I know the guy. 

Yes.

Did I really enjoy it? Look, “She’s My Girlfriend” is a piece of glam rock piffle that belongs on a 1972 Hudson Brothers record. But that’s what I liked about it.

And yes, I even enjoyed the New Wave “Zeroid”. 

This album is all over the place and I enjoyed it for that reason, among others. It’s not a classic but it isn’t the worst thing you’ve heard. 


Well done, Frank. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIeumuB0BWE&list=PLlvn8uktX5Lv4M8B_QpF_dCo6nTShPeZD


No comments: