Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - Ian North - My Girlfriend's Dead

 Ian North - My Girlfriend's Dead


1980 Housekeeping

Ian North

My Girlfriend’s Dead

Genre: New Wave 

3.5 out of 5



Highlights:

My Girlfriend’s Dead

Twenty Five Years!

Youth in Asia



The guy behind the power pop group, “Milk ’N’ Cookies” put out this super weird, New Wave curio solo record.  What I love about it is the dark and dankness of the pop behind the songs. It’s cynical and morose but also driving and powerful. Sometimes it feels like Iggy Pop got his hands on melodies and didn’t strangle the shit out of them. 


It’s minimalist so it sounds like it’s just Ian and maybe a couple of helpers. I don’t know much about M&C, although I love their name.


I’d like to know more about Ian. I think he had an interesting take on the darker edges of New Wave. 


Missing one track. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGOKVa1wfNI&list=PLlvn8uktX5LtutBqzpZjRkdDCfMoco10h

No comments: