Wednesday, September 15, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Make a Little Magic

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Make a Little Magic 


1980 Housekeeping

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Make a Little Magic

Genre: Softish Rock

3.5 out of 5




Highlights:

Make a Little Magic

Anxious Heart





The Dirt Band will always have a little warm spot in my heart for turning me on to the Dennis Linde tune “Hello, I am Your Heart”. To be fair, I was just introduced to that song a few weeks ago but it has forever become a part of my backyard guitar strumming repertoire. 


That track isn’t here. But, hey, that opener…wasn’t that all over the place in 1980? Or am I thinking of Jackson Browne? It sounds like Jackson Browne, yes?


Here’s a little Jackson Browne story:


I was a stupid teenager. Girls liked me but I was too oblivious to that and self-loathing that I couldn’t believe that was possible. There was a girl I was hanging out with in Bar Harbor around this time. I don’t remember her name. It’s on the tip of my tongue. It starts with a D. She was gorgeous. And for some reason she wanted to hang out with me. (I got it!!! Deirdre!!!)


There was one day that the song “She’s Got to Be Somebody’s Baby” was playing on a loudspeaker and she looked at me and said something about that song being a lie because the girls that everyone assume are with someone often are not. And then she touched my arm.


And I had no idea what she was talking about so I launched into so stupid dissertation about the song and why it might be true, because I think I had some form of oppositional defiance disorder coupled with a self-sabotaging streak (still do!).


Anyway. I learned weeks later she was interested in me but that moment passed because…well…stupid.


Her adopted sister, Ellen, I do remember because she would tell me that she was in constant competition with her sister. And, it took a while (on her part because…well…stupid) but, we did end up together for a very short minute.


But that was fun.


I preferred her older sister. 


I don’t know what happened to either of them. But I hate that Jackson Browne song. 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/make-a-little-magic/714978368


No comments: