Wednesday, September 15, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - Lucinda Williams - Happy Woman Blues

 Lucinda Williams - Happy Woman Blues



1980 Housekeeping

Lucinda Williams

Happy Woman Blues

Genre: Country

4.25 out of 5


Highlights:

Happy Woman Blues

One Night Stand

Howlin’ at Midnight

Sharp Cutting Wings (Song to a Poet)




Yeah, this might be a bit afield of the mission statement but it’s Lucinda Williams and she’s been a force in the music world for a while. Also, recently, I went back and listened to the first three big Dolly Parton records and Lucinda feels like a mature heir to that broken ceiling. 


Lastly, I was listening to a LOT of White Stripes of late and that brought me back to Loretta Lynn’s Van Lear Rose and, l well, that’s just a great record. 


So, why not? It’s not like theres’t 500 more records we could do if we added this category (Lord help us).


This is an excellent record of good songs that are not made for your 1980 radio. It’s country fair jamboree stuff. 


I think Lucinda played South by Southwest the same year my band did and, if I’m not mistaken, the backup singer was thrilled to get the chance to see her, even though she was off the concert bill. 


I have to double check. Might have been someone else.





https://music.apple.com/us/album/happy-woman-blues/84090091

No comments: