Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - The Aliens - Translator

The Aliens - Translator 



1980 Housekeeping

The Aliens

Translator

Genre: New Wave/Punk/Rock…from Australia!

4.25 out of 5



Highlights:

Follow That Girl

She’s So Dangerous

Go Away

Bomb Squad




I get Buzzcocks feelings from this band. That could just be the growl of the lead singer. Cuz it’s not as good as Pete Shelley and the boys. I mean, it’s angular New Wave but filtered through the tyranny of an ocean’s distance. 

“Follow That Girl” might as well have been written by Joe Jackson who does it better but this’ll do in a pinch. But I don’t wanna cover it.

It’s a good record of its ilk but this sound won’t last, as we all know. It’s post-Rezillos but holding on to that style. 

A perfectly fine record that screams, “you will never hear from us again.” Listen to “Confrontation” and tell me that isn’t a leftover Bay City Rollers tune that would never have been a hit and they abandoned by the time they were recording Elevator. 


But I liked it enough that I wish I found a copy at Sounds. 






https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z0WiSfFooA&list=PLHhF7eXU0QSjVXnV2Dw-d8XwrGWJK5SI2



No comments: