Thursday, September 9, 2021

The 1981 Listening Post - Positive Noise - Heart of Darkness

 Positive Noise - Heart of Darkness


#170

May 1981 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY

Positive Noise

Heart of Darkness

Genre: Post-Everything

4.5 out of 5




Highlights:

Heart of Darkness

Hypnosis

Ghosts




From the opening tribal percussive track “Darkness Visible” to the manic, Residents on cocaine of “Hypnosis” to the…blue eyed soul of “…and Yet Again”…I was mesmerized by the first side of this record. 

In fact, I would go as far as to say that you take this record, sand off the tribal assault, smooth out the vocals and you get Spandau Ballet. I know, I know, that sounds weird but, something on “Treachery” took me there and then, “Warlords” continued to walk me down that path. 

We haven’t heard a lot of that pounding bass that will become the signature tool of that “80s Sound” but, it’s right here, in it’s infancy. 


I have to wonder what this would/could sound like if they had access to modern recording equipment. Yeah, yeah, that would probably diminish the immediacy of the recordings but in Von Lichten’s hands this would probably be a monster. 



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd7l5fQAt-c

No comments: