Friday, September 10, 2021

The 1980 Listening Post - Michael Des Barre - I'm Only Human

 Michael Des Barres - I'm Only Human



1980 Housekeeping 

Michael Des Barre

I’m Only Human

Genre: New Wave 

4 out of 5


Highlights:

Baited Breath

I’m Only Human

Dancin’ On the Brink of Disaster



Michael Des Barre knows everybody. But I bet he doesn’t know Greg Kihn, otherwise Kihn would have convinced him to name his album, Des Barre Chords.
Or Raising Des Barre. Or Passing Des Barre. Or Lowering Des Barre. I could go on. 


I wish I could apologize for that but dad jokes are my jam.


I love Michael Des Barres. I’ve never really heard his music but he was the lead singer of Scum of the Earth on WKRP and he was forever etched into my brain. 

This album makes a LOT of sense when you know who Des Barre is. Because it’s the kind of theatrical 80s rock I would have wanted back in that day, even if I wouldn’t admit it. 


It’s a little bit Rocky Horror and lot New Wave goofiness until it isn’t and then he becomes kind of a lightweight Meat Loaf (“Dancin’ On the Brink of Disaster”). It seems that, on this record, Michael can’t get out of his own way. 


He really tries to sound as non-human as he can. So maybe he does have a sense of humor…And, well, “Catch Phrase” made me laugh.


I do wish I had heard this thing in 1980. I think I would have embraced this thing. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6u-qPY2hM0



No comments: